Reminder that students will have early release on the 23rd and we will resume on Tuesday 28th for the last week of school
Welcome to the Garner School Library
THIRD GRADE: a book worm SECOND GRADE: a chain link to reading
FIFTH GRADE: fish bowl FOURTH GRADE: a piggy bank
FIRST GRADE: a ladybug
just for little kids. We loved Niles."
May 2012 - 2013 Be Your Best Reading Year Ever
1. support and complement the instructional program of GISD
2. strive to meet the independent reading needs of students
3. provide a variety of print and non-print materials, services and equipment for the use of teachers and students
4. provide materials and programs that will stimulate growth in factual knowledge, literary
appreciation, aesthetic values, and ethical standards
5. to teach students to access and use information to make intelligent judgments in their daily lives
6. to encourage students to read for information and pleasure
• Books are checked out on a weekly basis, but may be re-checked if needed. If a student has an overdue book, he or she cannot check out another one until the overdue book has been returned.
• A nickel fine is assessed per day when a book is past due.
• Lost or damaged books must be paid for before another book may be checked out. Please
send cash or checks and a receipt will be given. Lost books that are returned in good condition during the current school year, will be refunded.
• Students are welcomed in the library individually to use materials in-house or to check out materials.
• Teachers sign up for classroom book check-out.
• An in-library computer lab of six computers provide word processing, internet usage, and AR connection for classes or individual use.
Mrs. Michelle Barton is the library aide, and the best part of Mrs. Barton's job is she works with all the students as they come to the library weekly. She also has story time with grades K through 3 and suggests books for the older readers.
Another component of her job is processing new books. It takes at least five steps to get each book ready for the teachers and students to check out. When she isn't with a class or processing books, she is re-shelving books, every librarians hourly and daily chore. Teacher requests also keep Mrs. Barton busy whether it is laminating or pulling books.
Mrs. Sandra Moore is a retired librarian who works part time for Garner ISD. Whether she is on campus or working from home, her major task is selecting, ordering and cataloging books that support the curriculum and enhance reading options for the teachers and students. She also coordinates the yearly author visits.
Important Links for Knowledge
Links to Favorite Author Web Sites
Meg Cabot (Princess Diaries)
Kate DiCamillo (Newbery author)
Anthony Horowitz (Alex Rider series)
Mary Pope Osborne (Magic Tree House series)
Contains a newsletter with family photos. Learn about her latest books.
Christopher Paolini (Eragon fantasy)
This new author was 15 when he wrote Book 1 of his Trilogy.
J.K. Rowlings (Harry Potter)
Louis Sachar (author of Holes)
Learn more about the author of Holes and his other great books.
We believe in the 3 R's:
Reading, Reading, and Reading!